The SpikeSafe™ 500mA Performance Series Current Source supplies precision DC, continuous pulse, and single pulse current with excellent pulse fidelity. The resulting pulses have nanosecond rise and fall times – key to accurate LED, VCSEL, and Laser Diode measurements. A precision hardware-controlled timing system supports pulse widths from 1µs to 15000s. Programmable load tuning alters the SpikeSafe current regulator response to compensate for load conditions, cable impedance, and length. Hardware triggering ensures measurement repeatability. Continuous power conversion technology means no duty cycle or pulse width limitations.
The 500mA model will accurately drive and pulse current into the microamp range. An optional bias current module supports junction temperature (Tj), thermal resistance (RΘ), and dynamic thermal impedance measurements.
Devices being tested are protected with a gentle turn-on during ramp-up and with SpikeSafe load protection during operation. SpikeSafe load protection continuously monitors voltage and current patterns and instantly shuts down the drive current when device anomalies are detected.
500mA Current Source Key Specifications
- Independent Programmable Source Channels: 1, 2, 4, or 8
- Output Power: 200W/Channel, 1600W Total
- Max Compliance Voltage: 50V, 100V, 200V, 300V, or 400V
- Max Current: 500mA
- Low Range Output Current Accuracy: 0.05%+10µA
- High Range Output Current Accuracy: 0.05%+75µA
- Pulse Width Range: 1µs-15000s
- Pulse Width Accuracy: 1µs
- Pulse Rise/Fall Time: 200ns-3µs
- Typical Pulse Width Jitter: 30ns
- Bias Current – constant DC bias current. Generally used for Tj measurement and K-factor determination.
- Modulated Current – develop and execute your own current waveform shape.
- SpikeSafe output power is based on DC input power. Consult Vektrex to select the appropriate bulk power supply for your application.
- Software Development Toolkit – develop and execute SCPI sequences speeding software development
- Control Panel Application – Provides familiar source/measure capability using an external sampling digital multimeter (DMM). Control Panel can also coordinate data from an Instrument Systems CAS-140 spectrometer.
The Vektrex Control Panel software application provides turn-key control of the SpikeSafe current sources and optional high-speed sampling voltmeters and spectrometers. This software pairing provides familiar LED and laser diode source/measure capabilities – with the added benefit of high-speed sampling, pulse visualization, and light measurement.
For customized software development, the SpikeSafe Software Development Tool is an interactive SCPI sequence builder. This tool speeds development by enabling the build and execution of complex command sequences.
Other software supports additional test applications including RΘ, Tj, modulated current, and reliability testing.